Monday, March 28, 2011

Tututorial (haha... sorry, I couldn't help myself)

I had put "Project #5: Make a tutu" as one of my projects that I wanted to complete this month while hubby was off playing army... well I did it! And I REALLY don't know why it took me until Charlotte was 2 to make one. Like... these are the easiest things you could possibly make.

So ANYWAY, I looked around at a few different sites figuring out how you are supposed to make a tutu.
The general idea is:
1. Get tulle (6yds of the wide tulle) and elastic - 1/2 - 1in - I used 3/4 and it was probably too big, I'd recommend 1/2in
2. Measure the waist and subtract 2-3 in - when you are pulling the tulle it makes the elastic stretch out a bit, plus you don't want it falling down when your little one is running
3. Cut your tulle 6in wide by 20-24in long - I made mine 18 inch because I didn't want that long of a skirt. When makin the skirt you double over the tulle so the skirt in my case was about 8.5 in + 1in that was around the band. Seriously, cutting the tulle was the most annoying part, mine was SO uneven. Next time I make one I am going to look for the tulle that already comes in 6in wide and get about 20 yds (that's what someone in blogland said). Cutting was a pain in the tuchus.
ETA: I went BACK to Joann Fabric and found the 6 inch tulle in the WEDDING SECTION. I bought up some pink, yellow, (more) orange, and purple.

4. Sew your band together securely. I sewed around in a box where the elastic overlapped, then came back through with an "x".

5. Attach your elastic band to something like an oatmeal container, small chair, tubberware (it was all I had) and get to work.
6. To loop the tulle: Ok, I may be REALLY dumbing this down, but hey... you never know.
a. Fold tulle in half and make loop at the top

b. Fold the loop over your elastic band (or for demo purposes, my finger)

c. Pull the tail/ends of the tulle through your loop

d. And pull!

7. Go around your elastic band adding tulle.

Your result is one happy camper :)
I see many more tutus in my future.
Happy Tutu-ing (ok, so I just made that up), Enjoy!
Project #5 - complete!

Linking up: Sarahndipities, Live Laugh Love Lucy, Vintage Wanna Bee, Not Just a Housewife, A Bowl Full of Lemons, Dot Dot Dot, Sew Much Ado, Handy man Crafty Woman, Someday Crafts, DIY by Design, Somewhat Simple, Momnivore's Dilemma, Gluesticks, Remodelaholic, Nap time crafters, Young and Crafty





Photobucket


Photobucket

17 comments:

  1. Super cute tutu! I have a 6-month-old baby girl and need to make her one of these, asap.

    Found you through Sarahndipities and am your newest follower! Stop by my blog sometime--I'd love to have you as a follower, too! I'm also hosting two giveaways this week that you should check out. :)

    morrowsunshine.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is awesome!!! My little one hasn't gotten too into tutus yet ... but I don't think it will be long before she is! Great job! And thanks for linking up! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the idea! If I had a little girl I would be making these by the dozen. I can only hope baby #2 will be dressed in pink!! Thanks for sharing : )

    ReplyDelete
  4. So cute!! Didn't know how easy they are to make, wow! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm proud that you did some (minor) sewing!!! If Squirt is a girl, this will probably be one of my first projects since it seems easy, would be great for newborn pictures and I'm sure hubby would love it ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. GORGEOUS!! and what a great tutorial - looks really easy to make!

    Jill @ Creating my way to Success
    http://www.jembellish.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  7. Totally bookmarked for future use! Thanks for teaching :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Adorable, it came out great! I am visiting from Sew Much Ado and I am a new follower!
    Have a great day!
    Michelle
    www.delicateconstruction.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. hiya great project , soooo cute,and brill tutorial , i am visitng from handy man crafty woman and i am your newest follower too hope you can visit me too
    xmaggiex

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your tutu turned out beautifully and your little girl is a doll! I am so glad you shared this tutorial at Fingerprints on the Fridge today! I am babysitting 3 little girls next week and this would be such a fun project to do with them! I can't wait! Thank you!
    Best Wishes and Blessings,
    Amanda

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love the name of your project! Thanks for linking this up to our Wicked awesome Wednesday party.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Stevie-

    Thanks for being so detailed...therefore...you are featured next week!

    Thanks for linking up to Creative Juice Thursday!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great tutorial Stevie! Tutus are the best, my little girls LOVE them and I think we make at least on each month...I have a tutu zoo! lol Thanks so much for linking up to Try it Tuesday at DotDotDot! Have a happy Monday!
    Tasha

    ReplyDelete
  14. I featured this on our Wicked Awesome Wed. linky party this week! Come on over and grab an "I've been Featured" button if you'd like!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love this post! sooo cute!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I've heard of these skirts! I didn't realize they were so easy to make. Thanks for posting! I finally got a chance to copy your ribbon and pearl necklace today. I just posted about it, and made sure to give you credit. Have a good day!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love it! I'm going to make one for my girl dog. :) I'll let you know how it goes!

    ReplyDelete

Link within

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...