Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Car Birthday - Overview & Food

Jillie's Big 2nd birthday has come and gone! Phew! So much for it being the low-key event that I claimed it was going to be. But to be honest, if you know me at all, I never "low-key" anything really.

Here are a few of the previous parties:
Strawberry Shortcake
Minnie Mouse
Cupcake

Anyway, so my oldest daughters' 2nd birthday party was at the park, so to keep with tradition, I did Jillie's 2nd birthday at the park. You gotta start small because the parties tend to get bigger... AND whatever you do for one child you HAVE to do for the other child otherwise the younger (or middle) sibling will be looking back and pictures and say, "WAIT JUST A SECOND! How come so-and-so got such-and-such and I only got whatever". Believe me it happens.

Side story, so I have 2 older brothers. For our 21st birthdays mom made each of us this HUGE (you know those 24x36" poster size frames) collage of pictures of us growing up. Well, middle brother CLAIMS that mom never made him one and was all sore because he was the poor middle child. Turns out, when mom and dad moved to GA and unpacked everything, they found his... and guess what, it was the BIGGEST of all of ours.

Ok back to the birthday party... so it was at the park just like big sissy's. AND just like sissy's the weatherman called for rain (ahhh! 20 kids and 18 adults would DEFINITELY not fit in my house). So of course I had to clean MY house just in case there was this huge torrential stormy day. Luckily, I ended up with a clean house AND an absolutely gorgeous (albeit a touch warm) day at the park.

The food is a big part of any party, right? Well here goes...
I stuck with the "stoplight" colors for everything; red, yellow, and green plates, napkins, table cloths, etc.
It was an EARLY party (10am on a Saturday) so we served some breakfast-y stuff (along with all the desserts)

And of course, a refueling station :) I saw some super cute ideas for this online... but didn't feel like carting around pitchers or drink dispensers. If it were at my house, I would have totally done that differently.

Here is a close up shot on most of the food (click individual pictures to enlarge)
I did forget to take a picture of the "Spare Tires", which were chocolate donuts... but you can see it on the main table shot

Jello jigglers (red of course): some car cut outs, some circles

Apple Cars: Apples soaked in sprite over night, assembled with
grapes and toothpicks in the morning

Car & Tire PB&Js: The car cutter did NOT make good use of the
bread... lots of waste. So I made "tires"

Stop light crackers: Graham Crackers with peanut butter spread
on them, add m&m's Assembled morning of; I wasn't sure if the cracker
would get soggy if I did it the night before

Driving Teddies: I put the m&m tires on the day before with
icing leftover from my cake, but didn't add the teddy grahams until the
morning of 

Marshmallow pops with green and yellow flags


Linking up: Shwin and Shwin, Raegun Ramblings,  Gingersnap Crafts, DIY by Design ,My Girlish Whims ,   Handy mann, Crafty Woman  , Dragonfly Designs, Sew Much Ado . Trendy Treehouse , Vintage Gwen , Someday Crafts , Momnivores DilemmaLive Laugh RoweCrafty Blog Stalker ,  Naptime CraftersLadybird LnBacontimeShaken TogetherDelicate ConstructionYoung and Crafty , 
Tatertots and Jello , Crafty Moms Share , I heart Naptime , Nifty Thrifty THings , Creating my way to success ,  Girl Creative , Making the world cuter , Keeping it simple , Under the table dreaming , Marvelously Messy , Our Delightful Home ,
Photobucket

8 comments:

  1. What an awesome birthday!! SUch a great set up!!! Are you available for hire?LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cool!!! I would be all over those marshmallow pops.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so glad that I'm following you! What a clever idea to make cars with apples. And soaking them in Sprite...I never would have thought of that. Thanks for sharing all of your hard work:)

    Katie
    www.funhomethings.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aw, how fun. I'm glad the weather held out- always a good thing. I love seeing what types of food people do for parties.

    -lauren

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really appreciate your content. The article has actually peaks my interest. I'm going to bookmark your site and hold checking for new information.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So many great ideas there Stevie! Glad the rain held off for the party!

    Thanks for linking to a Round Tuit!
    Hope you have a fabulous week!
    Jill @ Creating my way to Success
    http://www.jembellish.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my goodness, how darling! I love the "refueling station". Thanks so much for sharing it on Fabulous Friday at Faith, Trust & Pixie Dust.

    Warmly, Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a fun party!! Thank you so much for sharing at Sharing Saturday!!

    ReplyDelete

Link within

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...