Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Surprisingly Awesome dinner

I was in Publix (for those of you not in the south, it's our grocery store) yesterday around lunchtime with my little helpers and they happen to be featuring one of their Apron meals. Being lunchtime, Charlotte and I decide to have a sample and it was good, I mean REALLY GOOD!!

It was Shrimp Salad with warm bacon dressing and summer bruschetta (ok, I think I was drawn to the bruschetta more). I take a look at the recipe card and realize that I have shrimp leftover from Saturday's party, score!! We have a basil plant in our yard, peaches purchased this past weekend, fresh mozzarella cheese (leftover from the party), pesto (always), and olive oil; meaning I only had a handful of ingredients to buy to make this. Sweet! And to make it easier, Publix pulls the ingredients required for these recipes and puts them in one spot right by the sample!

As the day progresses I start to get a little nervous. I mean, it was lunchtime and I WAS hungry (I know, never go to the grocery store hungry), AND the last Apron meal wasn't as good as I had remembered in the store.

Jump ahead to dinner time and... AWESOME!! Definitely a keeper!!

I was pleasantly surprised with the peach in the salad. I've done strawberry before, but never peach (this recipe does say you can substitute strawberries if peaches are not in season)! Also, you can't go wrong with a warm bacon dressing, can you?

I especially LOVE the summer bruschetta; it has pesto on it!! This recipe calls for a baguette cut in half, which was tasty, but next time I will used frozen sliced french bread/baguettes that I keep in the freezer. I love having sliced french bread in the freezer because at the last minute you can take it out, butter both sides, and bake it to make nice crunchy, crispy, buttery bread. I would use that bread, baked but un-buttered, and THEN put the summer bruschetta mixture on it. Talk about yum!!

In case the recipe link does not work, here it is:
Shrimp Salad With Warm Bacon Dressing and Summer Bruschetta
Publix Apron Meal

Total Time - 25 minutes
COOKING SEQUENCE
Prepare bruschetta - 10 minutes
Prepare salad and serve - 15 minutes

Shrimp Salad With Warm Bacon Dressing
Ingredients:
1 bag fresh spinach leaves (6-10 oz)
2 cups fresh pre-sliced mushrooms
1/2 cup fresh pre-diced tomatoes
1 lb cooked shrimp, peeled/deveined (thawed)
4 slices bacon
1 medium peach
1/2 cup fat-free sun-dried tomato vinaigrette
1/2 teaspoon green pepper sauce
Prep
Place spinach, mushrooms, tomatoes, and shrimp in salad bowl.
Cut bacon into bite-size pieces; place in microwave-safe bowl (wash hands).
Steps
Cover bacon; microwave on HIGH 3-4 minutes or until bacon is lightly crisp. Wash knife and cutting board with hot, soapy water.
Peel peach and cut into bite-size pieces; add to salad bowl.
Stir vinaigrette and pepper sauce into bacon and drippings. Cover and microwave on HIGH 1 minute or until hot. Pour mixture over salad; toss to coat. Serve.
CALORIES (per 1/4 recipe) 350kcal; FAT 14g; CHOL 240mg; SODIUM 740mg; CARB 25g; FIBER 3g; PROTEIN 30g; VIT A 150%; VIT C 50%; CALC 10%; IRON 35%

Summer Bruschetta
Ingredients:
1 Bakery baguette
4 large fresh basil leaves
2 oz fresh mozzarella cheese
1/2 cup fresh pre-diced tomatoes
1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
2 tablespoons basil pesto
1 tablespoon diced pimientos
Prep
Cut bread in half lengthwise, using an electric or serrated knife.
Stack basil leaves and slice into thin strips; cut mozzarella into bite-size pieces. Set both aside.
Steps
Cut bread in half lengthwise, using an electric or serrated knife. Stack basil leaves and slice into thin strips; cut mozzarella into bite-size pieces. Set both aside.

Combine remaining ingredients in small bowl; spread onto bread halves. Top with mozzarella and basil. Slice bruschetta and serve.
CALORIES (per 1/4 recipe) 370kcal; FAT 22g; CHOL 10mg; SODIUM 600mg; CARB 33g; FIBER 2g; PROTEIN 9g; VIT A 6%; VIT C 10%; CALC 2%; IRON 10%

BACON HINT: I don't know about you but I NEVER use a full package of bacon. So this recipe calls for 4 slices, that leaves, what, 9 slices left. What I do is cut the bacon in half, and then put 4 (or so) half slices in each sandwich bag, then put your sandwhich bags in a freezer bag. That way, when you need bacon for recipes like beans, or just want to add it to breakfast, you have some!

Linking up: Homework, Blackberry Vine, A Bowl full of Lemons, Everyday Tastes, Delicate Contruction
Photobucket

3 comments:

  1. Hi, Stevie! You've got so much creativity and I'm admiring them all. Can you please share your creative posts at the Creative Bloggers' Party & Hop? Hope to see you there at the party :).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yummy! Thanks so much for linking to the Tuesday To Do Party!
    Smiles!
    Jami
    www.blackberryvine.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Link within

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...