Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Late Night Date Night ::. Wine Tasting

With Valentines Day coming up I wanted to share mine and hubby's "Late Night Date Night" that we had the other day.

Hubby and I like wine... we don't know anything about it... but we like it.

Case in point...
I was at my girlfriends rehearsal dinner a few years back and I was chatting with the bride-to-be and the server comes around asking what wine we want.

"The one with alcohol" is what is running through my mind so I decide to go with the last thing he said, so I say, "Oh, I'll have the pinot" and he pauses... but proceeds to pour me a glass.

The bride leans over and says, "is that what you wanted?" I say, "um... Pinot is fine" and she goes, "well you know we've got Pinot Grigio AND Pinot Noir". Ah ha... didn't even know there were TWO "Pinots".

I tried to play it off, but the thing that tipped her off was that I was previously drinking white wine.... and I was poured Pinot Noir.

Anyway, so we've established that I know nothing about wine except that there is red, white, and champagne (plus some others that I did NOT know about).

Hubby and I had kind of gotten into a rut and hadn't done a date night in a while so I took it upon myself to think up this gem.

Inspired by the movie "Bottle Shock" that we had recently rented, I went to the grocery and picked up a few bottles of wine (4 to be exact), got some cheese and crackers, some firewood, AND ran to the library and picked up Introduction to Wine Tasting Vol 1. (It was the only one the library had, but it was good!) Then we waited until the kids went to bed.
Paper plates... classy!
No... we didn't drink ALL the wine between the 2 of us... but we had some fun. We didn't have to spend tons of money or get a babysitter and we still got a fun romantic date night.

We still want to go take a wine class with an instructor, but this was a great (cheap) introduction! The only downside is now I can NOT stop the hubby from swirling his wine with every. single. sip.

Linking up: Vintage Wanna Bee, Elizabeth and Co, Shwin and Shwin, Chef in Training, Cantelmos, A Bowl Full of Lemons, Not Just a Housewife, Homework, Trophy Wife  , Turtles Life for Me, DIY By Design, My Girlish Whims, Somewhat Simple, Momnivores Dilema,  Gluesticks, Hookin Up with HOH, Crafty Blog Stalker, It's A Keeper, CRAFT, Sarahndipities, The Girl Creative



Photobucket

11 comments:

  1. That was a great date night idea. I may steal it...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds so romantic! I love the picture with the fireplace!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ... and the basket full of toys ;) haha. Thanks :)

      Delete
  3. Love this idea. Now that we have a fireplace, and it's finally gotten cooler here, we have been taking advantage of it. But I love the structure of a wine tasting, not just having a glass of wine by the fire and then the tv and computers come out:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great idea - so fun and easy to do at home!


    Thanks for linking to a Round Tuit!
    Hope you have a fabulous week!
    Jill @ Creating my way to Success
    http://www.jembellish.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh that is funny! Because I did take my husband to a wine class and now he swirls his glass incessantly. I love the idea of the book and wine tasting though, will have to surprise him with that soon. We are empty nesters, but we still enjoy cheap date nights.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's funny. My husband and I are trying to become "self-proclaimed" wine snobs. We love wine and love learning about wine. This is a great date night idea!!

    Another thing we've done is hosting a wine tasting party: just have every couple bring two bottles of the same wine. The 1st bottle is to open up and have everyone try, and all the 2nd bottles are to be put aside for a drawing later in the evening. You can have two couples be winners of the drawing - each taking half of the wine home. It's so much fun! You don't have to know anything, you just get to try it!

    ReplyDelete

Link within

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...