In fact, hubby couldn't really tell the difference between this recipe and my Wedding Shrimp and Grits recipe. It totally is. In his defense, I haven't made the Wedding Shrimp and Grits recipe in quite a while, lol, and they both have grits, shrimp, and andoulli sausage. But similarities end there, wedding recipe calls for heavy cream, a STICK of butter, and cheddar... Lemon Garlic has water/chicken broth, It is SO much healthier and quicker though, but you do kind of miss out on all the creamy goodness of the Wedding Shrimp and Grits.
My grits were a touch runny... maybe the extra lemon juice I added, I don't know. But they were perfect 15 minutes later after hubby got off a phone call to eat.
I did tweak this recipe a bit, but it took me only 30 minutes start to finish (compared to the 30 some-odd minutes of just qrit-work in the Wedding recipe).
Lemon Garlic Shrimp and Gritsoriginal recipe
footnetwork.com + a few tweaks
- 3/4 cup instant grits
- 2 C water + 1 C chicken broth
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 1/4 pounds medium shrimp, peeled and deveined, tails intact
- 2-3 andoulli sausages (my addition)
- 2 large cloves garlic, minced
Pinch of cayenne pepper (optional)(I decided cayenne was not necessary since I was using andoulli sausage which tends to be spicy.
- Juice of 1/2 lemon, plus wedges for serving (I added an extra tablespoon or two of jarred lemon juice to the shrimp/andoulli mixture)
- 2 tablespoons roughly chopped fresh parsley
3 2 cups of water and 1 cup of chicken broth to a boil in a medium
saucepan over high heat, covered. Uncover and slowly whisk in the grits,
1 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon pepper. Reduce the heat to medium low
and cook, stirring occasionally, until thickened, about 5 minutes. Stir
in the Parmesan and 1 tablespoon butter. Remove from the heat and season
with salt and pepper. Cover to keep warm.
Divide the grits among shallow bowls and top with the shrimp and sauce. Serve with lemon wedges.
I HIGHLY recommend this recipe!