Grilled Shrimp Tostadas from Skinny Taste that I pinned. I tend to stay away from the seafood/mexican dishes; like fish tacos. I'm sure they're great... they are just out of my comfort zone. I think of taco and I think of ground beef (maybe shredded chicken) and spices.
Also, she said that one fills her up, but since my hubby likes to eat... a lot... I was afraid he would sit down and think this was an appetizer or something. But I decided to give it a shot anyway; to mix the meal plan up a bit.
This recipe was different. We liked it... for the most part. We eat "guacamole" all the time; the kids LOVE it. Notice I put it in quotations; see our guacamole is literally just smashed up avocado. So when we tried to feed the kids THIS guacamole with onion, tomato, lime juice, etc... it didn't go over too well. To be honest, we kind of like to stick to our smashed-avocado-guacamole instead of the fancy-stuff-added-to-it-guacamole.
Next time, we will probably just use plain old avocado-smashed-guacamole for our avocado layer -- but we will make this again!
Recipe in case it gets misplaced on the internet:
Grilled Shrimp Tostadas
src: Skinny Taste
For the guacamole:
1 medium hass avocados, halved
1/2 plum tomato, seeded and diced
1/2 lime, juiced
2 tbsp red onion, minced
1 small clove garlic, mashed
1/2 tbsp chopped cilantro
kosher salt and fresh pepper, to taste
For the tostada:
16 jumbo shrimp (3/4 lb), shelled and deveined
1 garlic crushed
2 tbsp prepared salsa verde (in the mexican section near taco stuff)
4 tostada shells
1 cup shredded romaine lettuce
1 cup canned fat free refried beans (love Trader Joe's)
extra salsa verde, for topping
2 tbsp crumbled queso blacno (optional)
- If cooking outside on the grill, soak skewers at least 30 minutes.
- Place the pulp from the avocados in a medium bowl and slightly mash with a fork or a potato masher leaving some large chunks. Add tomato, lime juice, salt, pepper, cilantro, red onion, garlic and mix thoroughly.
- Season shrimp with salt, then mix in crushed garlic 2 tbsp salsa verde. Thread the shrimp onto 4 skewers.
- Light the grill or indoor grill pan on medium flame, when hot spray the grates with oil and grill the shrimp about 1 to 2 minutes on each side. Set aside.
- Place a tostada on each plate, top each with 1/4 cup refried beans spread evenly, 1/4 cup lettuce and guacamole. Top each with a shrimp skewer on top and serve with extra salsa verde and cheese if using.