Wednesday, August 5, 2009

In the Good Old Summertime...

In the Good Old Summertime. It was a hit song from 1902 (more info here); then it was the title for a 1949 musical film staring Judy Garland and Van Johnson (which I coincidentally watched a few weeks back while Hubby was away at drill); and lastly, it was a song that I had the pleasure of singing at the second family reunion of the weekend. Yes, I did say second... it was a weekend jam packed of family in Illinois.

I have not been able to get that song out of my head since Sunday afternoon. I must admit that it is a catchy tune, however it is odd that an 80s baby is singing a song from early 1900s, I but I digress.

I spent 5 days at the family farm in Illinois hanging out with my 91 year old Grandma, relaxing, watching movies, taking pictures of Charlotte and Grandma, observing Grandma make a really awesome rag rug on a frame (I think I have my next craft project), playing Farkle... and going to family reunions. It was at the reunion where we did our sing-a-long. It was great, it was the kind of thing that I imagine people used to do back in the day when they got together and had picnics; definitely not something that you see nowadays.
I have so many fond memories of the farm; I used to visit for a few weeks every summer and play in the barn with my brothers and cousins building forts with hay. There's nothing we didn't do from picking watermelon (I was a tad small though), to hanging out at the "Larson Market", helping Grandma in the garden, and watching her make fresh bread and jellies. It was really neat for me to finally be able to bring my own daughter to the place that made me so happy for so long.





Disclaimer - I figure I ought to throw in a disclaimer appologizing for my rambling text... I am still new to this whole blogging thing

No comments:

Post a Comment

Link within

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...